Monday, February 11, 2013

Make-it-Monday: Lip Scrub and the Roomie Refashions

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but it is winter and the air is DRY. I am guzzling about a gallon of water every day, but I still have crackly lips and scratchy palms. You know it's bad when the magical balm by Fresh can't even keep your lips hydrated. So I turned to Pinterest in search of a lip scrub recipe - and I wasn't disappointed.

The best thing about these recipes is that you already have all the ingredients. You do, I promise. All you need to make your own lip scrub is a few of the following:
  • Sugar (brown or white)
  • Honey
  • Olive oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Vitamin E
  • Essential oils (lavender, vanilla, rose, etc.)
  • Grapefruit juice
All you have to do is take some sugar, mix it with a conditioner or two (olive oil, honey, Vitamin E and/or coconut oil), and add essential oils or  fresh grapefruit juice to give it some flavor. I used 1 tsp Turbinado sugar, 1 tsp honey, and 1 tsp olive oil. Stir the ingredients together, and then massage the mixture onto your poor, chapped lips for a minute or two. Rinse away with warm water, and apply your favorite lip balm. Hallelujah! Happy mouth!



This recipe isn't just useful for your smackers; you can use it as an exfoliater all over. I wash my face with oilve oil every night, but I rarely exfoliate. Last night, I used this mixture as my cleanser, and it worked great! Olive oil is the BEST makeup remover you could ever imagine, and it is beyond gentle. I will say, if you're going to rub this all over your face, be careful - sugar is quite coarse, and over-exfoliation can make skin look worse, not better. I have super sensitive skin, so I only use the scrubby stuff once in a blue moon. 

I used my freshly exfoliated lips to make part of the Very Excellent Boyfriend's Valentine's Gift. Shh, don't tell him! I'd post a sneak peek, but Lord knows it'd be the one time he actually takes a look at my blog. I'll let you see it on Friday. 

In other creative news, my Roomie did a refashion yesterday! She has had this jumper for a while, but it hasn't had much circulation recently. 



Last night, she decided to give it an update, and turn it into a skirt. It was an easy fix. She removed the straps and buttons, cut away some extra fabric from the bust, and then reattached the straps horizontally to form a waistband. 




She reattached the buttons at the end, and now she has a delightful new skirt to swish around in!



Maybe if I'm nice she'll let me borrow it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.