Monday, May 13, 2013

Make-it-Monday: Dealing with Failure

I saw The Great Gatsby over the weekend, though not quite as originally planned. My dress wasn't finished yet, and Roomie had a conflicting event, but that's no matter. We're going on Friday, and this time I'll be dressed for Jazz Age success.

At least that's what I'm telling myself, even though this refashion has been a nightmare.

So far, I've taken the sides in five times. I've sewn-in a complete seam, then picked it all out again. The first seams were too tight, so I sewed outside the original lines to give myself a little more room. Somehow, magically, I actually made the dress EVEN SMALLER. I literally have no idea how. I'm discovering so many new and creative ways to destroy a sewing project. 

One side got folded all over itself.

Untitled

Meanwhile, the other had two seams.

Untitled

And the zipper is always slouchy.

Untitled

No matter - I have the rest of the week to work on it (she says, knowing full well that she has no free time). 

Last night I had my first rehearsal for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Atlanta Lyric Theatre, and at noon I have my first rehearsal for my summer shows at Stone Mountain. Once again, it's going to be an action-packed summer. I love being busy like this - though physically exhausting, my soul is never more energized than when I'm racing between jobs. 

Oh yeah, about the movie: I highly recommend it. But don't even bother if you're going to watch it like a film snob. It's over-the-top in the most spectacular ways - the anachronistic music, the surreal color palate, the impossible scenery. Baz Luhrmann is like a modern Busby Berkley; there's nothing realistic about the way he films. But that's the whole point. His movies aren't literal; he's not trying to give you Lincoln. It's all about getting the audience in the mood. As a director, he's much more concerned with setting a tone than with any kind of accuracy; as an audience member, I appreciate that. I want to get carried away by movies, and modern bass lines give me a more emotional connection than 20s era jazz would. All that being said, the second half of the movie settles very nicely and much of the pomp falls away (at least for a while). There are some lovely performances, too (like Tobey Maguire making his triumphant return!).

Hopefully, the second time I see it I'll be dressed in a Jazz Age frock of my own redesign. If not, I'll figure something else out. I'm nothing if not resourceful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.