Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Whatever Wednesday: The Serenbe PR Tour

In July, I start rehearsals for Hair down at Serenbe Playhouse. It's an outdoor production set in a wildflower meadow, complete with a technicolor bus. Of course right now I'm working with a different technicolor prop (a dreamcoat) but Serenbe is already gearing-up for the big musical with some scattered PR performances.

Hair PR Tour
In July, this will be a stage.

Our standard set for these appearances is a mash-up of Hair songs ("Aquarius" and "Let The Sun Shine") and top 40 hits ("Girl on Fire" and "It's Time"). We threw the five-minute number together in a single hourlong rehearsal, proving that this cast has some serious chops.

Our first event was the Human Rights Campaign Gala at the Hyatt Regency. As you know, Matthew Morrison was the keynote speaker. He was one of fifteen hundred people at the event, and we opened the dinner to cheers like I've never heard.

Serenbe PR Tour

Serenbe PR Tour

Serenbe PR Tour
(Photo credit: HRC Atlanta)
Serenbe PR Tour
(Photo credit: HRC Atlanta)

The next day, I went down to the tiny town of Serenbe for something completely different - the May Day festival. While the night before was loud and crowded, May Day was simple and bright. I sang with one other cast member for a small crowd, and explored the vendors all over town. Oh, and I had an amazing bacon cheeseburger from the Grazing Here food truck.

Hair PR Tour

Hair PR Tour

Hair PR Tour

Hair PR Tour

Last week, we did our thing at a fundraiser for C4 Atlanta. C4 is a nonprofit that aims to give artists the marketing and business tools they need to make a living from their work. Their event was held at the Fuse Arts Center downtown, and it was an intimate, eclectic gathering. We got to see local steampunk band Extraordinary Contraptions play a few of their songs. Definitely check out their Bandcamp page if you like story-central songwriting (I especially like "Prelude to the Nocturnis").

Serenbe PR Tour

Saturday was the grande finale, a performance for the Playhouse's Dali Gala.

Serenbe PR Tour

Serenbe PR Tour
Serenbe's Artistic Dirictor, Brian, as Dali
(Photo credit: BreeAnne Clowdus)

Serenbe PR Tour
(Photo credit: BreeAnne Clowdus)

Serenbe PR Tour

There are a lot of really great things about being an actor, but this week I'm especially thankful for big, glitzy events. It's such a blast to wear surreal make-up and schmooze with a great group of people. Oh, and sing for a wild crowd.

Serenbe PR Tour

Serenbe PR Tour
The Jackson Family, reunited
(Make-up by Jared Boty)

Serenbe PR Tour

Serenbe PR Tour

The food was to die for. Gloriosa provided some excellent noms. I was especially charmed by the Parmesan and truffle oil fries. I also had a couple shots of the melon and champagne soup. I may start inviting myself to their events - or maybe I could get a part-time gig as a taster. They wouldn't need to pay me; it's a volunteer position.

I can't wait to spend the second half of the summer in Serenbe. So far, I'm completely taken with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.