Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Feasting with a High School Friend

I've known my friend Austin for ten years, which seems impossible. If I can count on him for anything, it's for ridiculous escapades and laughing until I cry (fine, two things). We hung out last week (with the Very Excellent Boyfriend in tow), and when our dinner plans fell through, we decided to improvise.

After a frenzied run through Kroger, we had the following:





  • A DiGiorno pizza
  • A bucket of Neopolitan ice cream
  • Heath magic shell syrup
  • Smuckers carmel syrup
  • Nonpareil sprinkles
  • A&W root beer
  • Zebra cakes
  • A bag of brussel sprouts


I mean, you gotta have your veggies.

And since movies are to dinner as peanut butter is to jelly, we threw on a DVD (The Emperor's New Groove) and got to cooking.


The Zebra cakes were our appetizer. I had one bite, because pre-packaged snack cakes give me crippling headaches. I rarely had them as a child, so I have little appreciation for their flavors.




I've never been a big fan of DiGiorno, but I was very impressed with the one we bought. It was really a pan of breadsticks covered in cheese and sauce, and if you think that sounds delicious, then we should be friends. We added our own (mini) pepperoni, baked it for 16 minutes (because the recommended cooking time was 15 to 17), and ate them with the accompanying packets of marinara and garlic sauce. The next time I want to eat junk food, it will be one of these.




Stay back, pup.

For a mid-movie snack, we had roasted brussel sprouts. This is Austin's recipe, and it was so rock-simple that I expect ALL of you readers to make them. I'm serious - this is the easiest dish in the world, and I want to know how you like it. So go to Kroger, buy some sprouts, and follow these steps:


Ingredients

  • Bag of brussel sprouts (or about 1 lb)
  • Olive oil
  • Spices - salt, pepper, garlic, grill seasoning, WHATEVER

Directions
  • Put the sprouts in a bowl
  • Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil over them
  • Shake in some salt, pepper, garlic, Mrs. Dash, cayenne pepper, WHATEVER. You can add just about anything. We used salt, pepper, garlic, and grill seasoning.
  • Toss the sprouts around in the bowl - get them coated in oil and spices
  • Pour the sprouts onto a baking sheet
  • Stick the sheet in the oven at 400 degrees
  • Remove after 30 minutes



The outside layer of leaves will probably be brown and crispy - and that's exactly how they should be. Austin stuck some toothpicks in them, and we ate them like fancy hors d'oeuvres.

Then we paused the movie right here




And made ice cream sundaes.













I had forgotten that the first step to magic shell is to shake it FOREVER.





Singing and shaking


My arms got tired


He is so Very Excellent


We also made root beer floats.






Turns out that getting a little strawberry ice cream in your float is totally fine - quite good, actually.



After the movie, Very Excellent and I went home - much fatter and happier than we had left it. And that, my dears, is the correct way to eat yourself sick. It's also the perfect recipe for an evening spent with an old friend.


Now, don't think I forgot about the challenge I issued earlier. I never forget. Those Brussel sprouts could NOT be easier to make. So make 'em! Have a Tasty Tuesday of your own, or cook them this weekend for someone special. When you do, send me a picture and your review - I want to get your thoughts on the recipe. When I get your stuff, I'll feature it here so everyone else can get the benefit of your experience. E-mail it all to me at galensdaysoftheweek@gmail.com. I patiently await your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.