Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thrifty Thursdays: The Goodwill is my BFF

The first time my mom took me to a consignment store, I was in the sixth grade. It was in a Winn-Dixie shopping center, next to our family's favorite Chinese restaurant. Up til that point, I had only really shopped at Old Navy- I owned a lot of polos and girly graphic tees. But on this day, at this first thrift store, I discovered the magic of Clothes Someone Has Already Owned. My big find was a thin, pink and blue, 3/4 length sleeve top with Chinese letters and a peacock emblazoned on the front. It was so unlike anything I'd ever seen at Old Navy. 

From this first shirt, my personal style took off like a rocket. Before long, I was showing-up at school with chopsticks in my hair - not hairsticks, actual chopsticks. Ones I painted with glittery nail polish. Not surprisingly, I was teased. But I didn't care; I watched Charmed, and I knew that the things I wore, while strange at Crews middle, were hip and cool in the Real World. 


Here are some of my all-time favorite thrift store finds:



Plaid pants
Faux fur coat
Chartreuse coat
Bows tunic (As Topanga from "Boy Meets World")
G-Unit one-piece
Glittery Jessica McClintock
Blue rhinestone and pearl dress
Vintage Lord & Taylor
Old Hollywood cape/dress thing
Indian national costume
High school prom dress
Suzi Bass awards dress, 2011
Purple mumu
Appropriately enough, my roomie and I are going vintage shopping today in Little 5 Points. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.