Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tasty Tuesdays: Homemade Reuben

I love nothing like I love a good Reuben. Very Excellent Boyfriend learned the hard way that if he eats half a leftover Reuben that's been in the fridge for three days, he gets yelled at for three subsequent days. The last time he went to the store, he bought the ingredients for me to make my own.

Oh, you want a play-by play?

OKAY!

Homemade Reuben

First ingredient: 1000 Island Dressing! I didn't have any on hand, so I made my own. It was crazy easy. I just grabbed an adorable pinch bowl:

Homemade Reuben

And filled it with
  • One teaspoon each mayonnaise and ketchup. 
  • 1/2 tsp sweet relish.
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce. 
Then stirred it up.

Homemade Reuben

Homemade Reuben

Now, someone tell me what "100 Island" means - I have no clue.

Next, I toasted two pieces of bread in the oven. I spread the dressing on both pieces of bread, than added pastrami, sauerkraut, and a slice of Swiss cheese.

Homemade Reuben

Next, I wrapped the sandwich in foil and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees.

Homemade Reuben

After ten minutes, the whole apartment smelled amazing - like the Jewish deli I wish I owned.

Homemade Reuben

I cut it in half and ate it with some sweet potato corn chips my Roomie bought.

Homemade Reuben
She gave me permission to have some - I'm not a monster.

It's not the best Reuben I ever had (that'd be from the Vortex), but it was homemade, and therefore, practically free. Next time, I'll definitely use rye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've set-up word verification to avoid spam comments. All comments will be posted once they are verified.